Sponsors

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Artisan Spotlight of Handmade Raggedies: Wandering Whimsies

Here's another artisan spotlight, this time of handmade raggedies. Let me introduce you to Wandering Whimsies.

Do you have a favorite style of raggedy
Old fashioned country primitive

Do you have a favorite Medium/texture when making your handmade raggedies? Strong instant coffee - I dye and bake most everything I sew.

Is there anything you eventually want to learn?
I'd love to learn to quilt, but I'm not sure I have the patience :) and to restore furniture.

Are there any other artistic projects you'd like to do?
Woodworking

What do you do in your spare time?
Hmmm...I faintly remember what that is...reading, wandering antique/junk/thrift stores and spending time with my husband and two teenagers (they enjoy wandering the shops too :)

How long have you been crafting?
I did my first craft show about 25 years ago when stationed in New England. I've had my business part-time ever since and it became my fulltime job when we transferred to Kentucky in 2005.

When did you first sell your raggedies?
I've only been creating raggedies for several years. I came across a pattern designer and fell in love with the doll patterns, so I thought why not? And now I make 50 - 60 a year and each is one is different from any other. Most of the raggedies I make are special requests for collectors.

What is your home decor like?
My home is a mix of county primitive antiques, Americana and "comfortable". With all of our travels in the Navy, I've collected quite a few different styles and have managed to make it work together.

Where you artistic as a child? Did anyone influence you?
I grew up learning to sew, draw and paint. I thank my Mom, Aunt and Grandmothers for giving me an interest in sewing and embroidering; and my art teachers for showing me other mediums to create with.

Did you have any Raggedy Ann dolls as a child?
I didn't ever have a Raggedy Anne when I was growing up. I became interested in old-fashioned dolls and toys while living in New England.

Was there a point when you realized "Wow, I'm an artist/artisan!"
I don't think that I've ever had a point where I've thought "wow, I'm an artist", I just like creating :) and I like to think I'm good at what I do. I'm always thrilled with the compliments and comments from customers and people who see my work.

Confession time: What does your craft room/studio really look like? Is it organized?
My sewing room is what I would consider "chaotic" organization. There's a place for everything and I always know where things are, but when I'm working for a show or on a wholesale order, things tend to pile up - like fabric. Then I have to take an afternoon to clean up and organize it all back into bins and shelves.

Please list where people can find your raggedies:
Wandering Whimsies main website
Wandering Whimsies Etsy shop
Facebook page

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning, Tracy,
    Oh missed this when Vivian first appeared on your site...Was it Thursday??

    You made me smile this weekend. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete